Monday 27 August 2018

RPG A Day 2018: Day 28...Share whose inspiring gaming excellence you’re grateful for

As we get towards the end, my responses lose a little of their steam. I could name names, but nobody who reads my blog will know who I'm talking about, and my friends don't read my blog...unless they're doing so anonymously. With that said I'll throw a few examples of gaming excellence out here.

One of my best friends one Lem Eubanks was also my first regular DM. He was always patient with us as we were in the murder hobo phase and made a lot of chaotic choices when we played. I say he inspired me with being able to ad lib on the fly with the crazy directions we inevitably came up with.

I have a few newer friends from my current rotating DM live table. I have had Edward from the UK, Tyler from South Africa, and fellow American Jeremy. They have all amazed me with their ability to run games using very little notes.

Jeremy was very creative but he fell into the habit of putting our characters into situations wherein it didn't really matter what choices we had made as the scenario ended up being a dream, hallucination or other positions that made us regain who we were. I apply this technique from time to time when I'm not familiar enough with how a character or setting should work.

Ed ran the full campaign of 5E the year before last. I've mentioned before that even within my own Roll*20 campaigns that things always tend to fall apart before the campaign reaches its true conclusion. He managed to run all year long and it was his first try at DMing, so a tip of the hat to him. He inspires me to keep trying until someday I may truly run a campaign up to a true conclusion myself.

Tyler is a really young guy. He's been playing with us since his last year of high school. At this point I believe he finally hit age 20. Last year, he ran several campaigns and pretty much was the guy in charge. It's pretty cool as our age ranges from age 20 up to the mid 50's. I didn't get to play with the group this year as much as I wanted, and every campaign he ran tended to get lost before we could finish it properly, but I was amazed at how much he could do seemingly without notes of any kind.

I have had a few good players in my various Roll*20 campaigns...too numerous to list, but much like the DM examples, they do inspire me to try different things when I'm on the other side of the screen.    

No comments:

Post a Comment