Tuesday 31 July 2018

RPG A Day 2018 #1 What Do You Love About RPGs?

It's that time of the year again when people look at my blog posts. To be fair I look at a lot more blogs during RPG A Day than I do the rest of the year too. Sometimes people do stick around. I have around ten loyal followers...growing the blog. For a brief shining moment a year ago I was getting paid for these sorts of things :) Miss that easy money.

So, What do I love about RPGs?

It's the people, stupid. It doesn't matter what the system is, how frequent we get to play, or even if it's on a live table or virtual table top it's the people that make me come back for more. Sure, I may prefer a particular game or system over another--and with apologies to my Roll * 20 groups a live table is almost always preferable...I hope they get the chance to go live without me too--but in all cases the creative interaction with friends is what makes gaming fun. This will be my 10th year of teaching abroad...my 9th here in the UAE...and I've met so many people through RPGs both in person and online that I would have never interacted with otherwise. Role playing--even light roll play-- breaks the ice and it helps you to really get to know one another. As a GM/DM/REF it really makes my day when a player comes out of left field with an idea that I'd have never thought of on my own. As a player when we interact with each other and our minds are working together it is something special. I say RPGs are the most unique of any entertainment around. Another thing is that it sparks interest in other subjects. I think I've willingly/voluntarily(?) learned more about the world from trying to make my games semi-realistic than I ever have from school any school assignment...and remember I am a teacher. Day 1 in the books!

No comments:

Post a Comment