Wednesday 5 August 2020

RPG a Day 2020: Day 6: Forest

RPG a Day 2020 and Day 6 is ‘Forest’. 

There’s an old joke that we educators tell stating that the only good things about being a teacher are July and August. Over my decade of being employed in the “noble profession” the humor, if any, found in that joke has diminished over the years as the number of days we work in July has seemed to stretch out more and more and the time we’re expected back from “summer” break is earlier and earlier. More depressing is the fact that the joke used to tell about three good things when teachers could also include June on the list. As my vacation for 2020 rapidly comes to an end having been hamstrung by the Wuhan Flu outbreak and another big move, I’m reminded of some of my better vacations from a few years back. I’m not going to turn this entry into a big slide show, but I’m including two pics from one of our trips out to Canada.

Capilano Suspension Bridge Park has a forest that you can walk over. It was an amazing place and put me in mind of any number of fantasy villages that I’ve visited during my gaming. Planet Endor for sure. I also had a brush with fame as my cousin and I definitely saw Helena Bonham Carter out there. We didn’t bother her though—had my wife been facing that way, I’m sure we would’ve gotten photographic proof of the meeting, but I rarely approach celebs unless they are pro wrestlers in which times I can’t help myself. 





The next one should be from Whistler Mountain if it’s from the proper folder. Bears and wolves in this area although it’s a big and popular resort. 





Finally, a shot from the Underground river in the Philippines. Not exactly a forest, but it really evokes a lot of adventuring I’ve done at the table. Tons of bats in here and the guano to go with it. 





Good stuff if you can do it. I haven’t run into too many fantasy creatures, but going into the environments in real-life can help one to get a feel for the game locations. I suggest visiting forests, mountains, and anything else you can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment