Sunday 11 August 2019

RPG A Day 2019--August 12th--Friendship

So today's word is friendship. I could talk about all the friends I've made through playing RPGs, but I'm sure I've talked about that before, so today I'm going to talk about a favorite show of mine and what should be the next RPG purchase I am likely to make--depending on how quick Cyberpunk: Red gets released--My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

I'm sure you guys don't live under a rock so you kind of know about MLP:FIM and how it became popular with a general audience of all ages instead of the "little girls and their young moms" target they were going for. Hasbro--who also owns Dungeons and Dragons through their subsidiary Wizards of the Coast--didn't exactly expect nor completely embrace this surprise audience, but at the same time, they didn't show us the door either. The "super-fans" of MLP:FIM are called Bronies and among all the fandoms that I am a part of, they take quite the ribbing...until people actually watch the show and find out that it's kind of cool. The fan community itself--I skew older than the typical "Brony" and can also get away with watching no questions asked nowadays because of my four year old daughter--is a fairly large and supportive one. There have been several conventions over the years, although I'm not so sure if the excitement is still there as it once was. I wouldn't call MLP a fad, but this "generation" of the ponies is coming to a close as the ninth--and final--season of Friendship is Magic is airing as of this writing.

So, why might a gamer like MLP:FIM? The writing is very good, there are jokes for adults and the overall fantasy setting. Aside from the talking ponies--earth, pegasus, unicorns, and alicorns--there are also other fantasy creatures such as: dragons and griffins, and this one time Fluttershy--best pony BTW--once stared down a cockatrice and won. I'd say the writing is silly yet clever, it's more likely to get a chuckle from pop culture savvy older folks like a good episode of 'The Flintstones' or 'Rocky and Bullwinkle', than it is to make you laugh out loud like 'The Simpsons' used to. On the other hand, It certainly isn't reveling in adult humor like 'South Park' or 'Family Guy'. At its core it remains a cartoon written with children in mind, but it's an enjoyable one that is worthwhile for more than just selling toys...and hopefully selling RPGs.

I don't know much about My Little Pony: Tales of Equestria other than to say that it is the officially licensed MLP:FIM RPG--that enough letters for you--and that it was apparently released back in 2017. I am very interested in using it as a gateway for my little girl into RPGs. It looks as though Hasbro--in spite of being the parent company of WOTC--licensed the ponies out to a company called River Horse games. They have a lot of other licensed games on their website, but I'm not sure what, if any, connection they have with Hasbro in general and I'm not going to get smart about it tonight. The game does have a starter box-set that I intend to purchase along with a big all encompassing rulebook ala Pathfinder (and others) . It appears that the line has been and is still being supported with modules. I'm sure to be visiting  https://riverhorse.eu/our-games/my-little-pony-tails-of-equestria/ as soon as I'm settled and have established a home address. Maybe you'll consider doing the same.

Tomorrow's word--Mystery!


No comments:

Post a Comment