Monday 19 August 2019

RPG A Day 2019--August 19th--Scary

I haven't really played a "scary" RPG that effectively scared me. I've tried to get into it. I've run and played the Ravenloft setting for D&D and I had some ghost pirates/pirate ghosts in my 7th Sea campaign, but it just doesn't click with me very much. I enjoy it, but I'm not scared by it.

I can look back through my jangled 'Mandela Effect' affected memory to the 1980's when parents were scared of--or at least bothered by--Dungeons and Dragons specifically, if not RPGs in general. I never quite got that. The artwork was suspect, I suppose, and LARPing of any kind always comes with a risk, but unless someone was already deeply mentally disturbed, I just can't buy into RPGs as being something to fear.

What scares me then? Sometimes late at night--particularly if I've seen a very scary movie or listened to a very effective sermon--I can make myself scared. From time to time it can get bad enough that I won't have a good night's rest. When I see news reports from the States, especially anything that hurts kids, I feel scared for the state of the world. I am a Christian, so I'm never really overwhelmed by these fears, but I do need to leave my bedroom sometimes and pray for better days and nights.

In a few short hours, I'll be on that long-mentioned flight to China. I don't think anxious is the same as scared, but they're definitely cousins and I'm not expecting a good rest tonight.

Tomorrow--should I have the time and ability to check-in, the prompt will be 'noble'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment