Tuesday 6 August 2019

RPG A Day 2019--August 7th--Familiar

I'm having trouble with this one. Should we talk about systems we're familiar with or familiar situations we've been in? In any case I'm not going to spend a lot of time with thinking about it as there are many days and prompts ahead.

When it comes to RPGs and familiarity, I think we tend to stick with the games and even the people that we are familiar with. It's sometimes hard to move from the familiar because we feel safe and contented there. In particular, if you've invested a bunch of time or money in a game or particular edition, it's hard re-invest in something new. Almost every time I go to a Mexican Restaurant I get steak fajitas and a margarita. I might want to try something new, but at the end of the day, if I go outside the familiar and I don't like it, well, I feel like I missed out. Gaming is like that on a much larger scale. There is only a finite amount of money and time. Scheduling a session is rough. We tend not to want to waste that time learning a system we might like to play and would rather jump right into playing something that everyone is familiar with. That's okay, but sometimes you miss out on better by sticking with good.

Tomorrow's word is the opposite direction--Obscure. I'll be talking about a fairly obscure game I enjoy and that I feel is worth stepping away from the familiar for-Index Card Role Playing Game.


No comments:

Post a Comment