Wednesday 14 August 2019

RPG A Day--August 15th--Door

Today's prompt is 'Door'. When I think about doors, I think about choices.

I remember the game show, 'Let's Make a Deal' wherein host, Monty Hall, would give the contestants a choice between doors number 1, 2, or 3 to get the best prize at the end. I think they were curtains sometimes--maybe every time, Damn Mandela Effect--but, the point is the contestants had a choice.

I think about the saying, "When God closes a door, He opens a window". The phrase really isn't in the Bible, but there are similar passages with the same meaning. One opportunity or path may have been cut off to you, but another way is usually around if you look for it.

I think about the story, 'The Lady or the Tiger', wherein the protagonist has but two doors to choose from. One contains a beautiful lady that he'll be able to take for a wife, while the other contains a ferocious, man-eating tiger. He only has a fifty-fifty shot, and the story never lets us know what he chose.

I think about running the 'Death House' introduction to Ravenloft for D&D 5E and how one of my players classically listened with his ear pressed firmly against a door that turned out to be a mimic. It was really a great thing,

I think about my real-life and how I'm standing in front of the door to China...just five days away now. I already made the choice and opened that door back in April, but I still don't know what lies beyond it. To go through that door, I had to leave my semi-comfortable "room" in the UAE. You can do one or the other, but you can't do both. I just hope a lady is behind one of those doors.

Tomorrow is...Dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment