Monday 12 August 2019

RPG A Day 2019--August 13th--Mystery

Today's keyword is Mystery. I am a fan of Cyberpunk and the genre often lends itself to mystery. In fact, the Cyberpunk 2020 module that I ran for my most recent CP2020 campaign was "Thicker Than Blood" which revolves around a mysterious kidnapping. I won't spoil it, but it's a pretty good one.

I've never played call of Cthulhu or Leagues of Adventure, but I understand that both systems have mystery elements as their draw.

The game I really want to talk about is 'Those Meddling Kids" by Pandahead Productions. Believe it or not, this is also one that I've never played, but I have the PDF and I hope if 'Ponies' doesn't draw my daughter into the hobby, that TMK might. The game is basically Scooby-Doo. It's written for youngsters, but it can be fun for anybody who likes the genre. A group of mystery solving teens explore a mysterious situation with their side-kick--which for this game is called the Wild Card. This Wild Card can be your talking dog, little green man, or unfrozen caveman whichever wacky side-kick your hippie teens need to solve the mystery. The GM is running this 'Wildcard' which is a mechanic that I have liked ever since playing 'Ryuutama'. One mystery for me is why so many GMs hate having this permanent NPC available. I love having a 'voice' apart from my GM and regular NPC voice joining the party and this 'Wildcard' would fit nicely here. Another aspect of TMK that I think will be nice is that allegedly it only takes one hour or less to play. I really want my daughter--and any subsequent kids we might have if I hurry up and have them--and her friends to get into RPGs but a three hour session is a little too much of a good thing with their attention spans. The recommended age for TMK is seven and older. The daughter is only four ATM and I sure don't want to rush it, but I hope someday that I'll be able to introduce her to the hobby and this may be the way to do it.

Those Meddling Kids can be found here https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/83837/Meddling-Kids It seems there are a few modules available. I am not sure of the current level of support for the game.

Tomorrow's topic...Guide

No comments:

Post a Comment