Sunday 4 August 2019

RPGaDay 2019--August 5th--Space

Todays word is "space" as I stare at the blank space of this page and try to use the empty space between my ears to fill it. My idea about space today is the great amount of it between me and my gaming groups...and how it's not so big of a problem anymore.

I don't want the whole month to be about Roll*20 and other virtual table tops, but they truly are a godsend. For years and years I had no game to play at all because even a couple of hours travel time removed from the main group made it virtually impossible to attend regularly...and I can't be the flake.  Nowadays--especially if you are willing to run it--dozens of games are available and just a click away.

I still have problems getting together with old friends in the States and I'm sure the UAE group is done in as far as my participation in it is concerned~lots of space means different time zones~. I'm not clear how this year's effort will go as I relocate to China. Will I have access to a live group out there? Might I be able to recruit my new students or create a role playing club? Will my virtual table tops even work on their strictly regulated internet? Who knows?  However, there is no doubt that the world is a whole lot smaller thanks to our technology and the space between us is a smaller hurdle to participating in the hobby than it has ever been.

Tomorrow...'Ancient'

No comments:

Post a Comment