Sunday 14 August 2016

RPG a Day 2016 Blog Day 14

August 14: Who would be on your dream team of people you used to game with?

Fourteen days in a row...not quite half-way there, but nearly. I'll really be tested in the last week when I go back to work. Today's question is interesting, but it's another one of those wherein we'll be dropping names that none of you 12-16 folks reading my posts know...but most of them can be found on FB or YouTube lest you think I made them all up. Imma pretend that I'm a player in this thing I have four all*stars with me and a DM running the show. 

First, what do I bring to the table? As a player I'm a good listener. I usually don't say much, but I'll throw in a joke or two when appropriate, and I keep old fashioned notes about what's going on in the party. I'm no 'rules lawyer' or 'power gamer' but I have a fairly good grasp of the rules and I try to help out when I can. I'm the type who doesn't care so much if my character dies or does the smart thing as long as he/she acts the way that I think that they would. 

Next, at the DM's chair I'll throw out a shocker and say, John Sun. He was a Roll 20 DM. During the D&D NXT playtest days he built a Ravenloft scenario from the ground up that was excellent. I have yet to play a finer online game. He was in the medical field either working or as a student. I forget which but after the Ravenloft campaign he moved on due to the career if I remember correctly. I wish that I could have played more games with him. The sessions are still up on YouTube if you have the time and need something to put you to sleep, but I had a lot of fun playing as the elf ranger: Sylinn Blackleaf. 
https://youtu.be/xr1cMrJj_dM

One of my players will come from that same group believe it or not. I might be wrong, but I think his screen name was David, if you are foolish enough to actually watch the videos, you'll see who I'm talking about. He played his character to the hilt and was one of the "good" rules lawyers. I think you always need one of those in the group. It saves time looking up rules and it helps to smooth out any arguments that might arise. I'm oldskool so the DM's word is the final decision, but when a player is saying '..yeah, but...' with his reasons, it's awesome to have a guy with a good grasp of the rules to push the argument one way or the other. 

Next player will be an emotional choice for me as it is my own little brother, Shelton Markham. I started playing with him be it with He-Man or GI Joe. Our first RPG proper was D&D back when the D&D cartoons were on, but we were really too young to understand how to play. Eventually we played Choose Your Own Adventures, and Fighting Fantasy books that gave us a better grasp on what we were doing. Marvel Superheroes was our first successful campaign. We also made up our own wrestling game using the M.U.S.C.L.E. toys--the little pink guys--and lastly played the HeroQuest board game. He grew out of such things, but back in the day he was creative and funny like his big brother. I don't think he would have the time or patience for it today, but maybe someday we'll play again. 

Third player on the list I've talked about before he's my current DM, Jeremy. He runs the main campaign for my current group, but he's a player when I run things. He's very cleaver and comes up with original ideas to solve the problems that the group is having. This is a pretty good group with several that should probably make the list, but I give Jeremy the nod because he presses the limits/thinks outside of the box in what the character might do with the powers at his disposal. 

Finally, I have to give my old DM Lem Eubanks a spot at the table. He's the one who has influenced me the most in how I play. If we lived in the same area--or if he embraced Roll 20 like I keep telling him to--we would still be playing to this day. When last I played with him...possibly 15 years ago or more at this point--WoW! Answering RPG a Day Questions make me feel old!--he was still on top of his game. 

And that's my all-star team. If we really could do this I think it would be something. I'd like to see how my oldskool table top guys, current table top guys and recent online guys interacted with one another, but that's as much a fantasy as the games we play. 


No comments:

Post a Comment