Saturday 27 August 2016

The RPG a Day Blog 2016 Day 28

August 28: What film or novel would you be most surprised that a friend had not seen or read?

In this question I'm assuming that we're talking about our RPG friends. Some of my friends--and older folks like my mom and my dad, when he was alive, just aren't into fantasy. That being said, I have one friend in particular who is into fantasy, sword and sorcery, and the like and he still hasn't seen an episode of Game of Thrones. I must give the caveat here that he doesn't subscribe to HBO and he's not the pirating type. But, it shocks me that one so into the genre hasn't found a way, by hook or by crook to at least watch a few episodes. As a conservative guy, I can see how some might want to wait for the edited for TV version that will come around eventually, but the dirty old man side of me--well, I'm not quick to change the channel when Daenerys is doing her thing. That's one. The next would be The Walking Dead. It's on basic cable, so I really don't get genre fans who haven't even given it a shot. At this point people are jumping off the bandwagon, and yet there are some who have never watched it. Then there are the big ones: The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, and Star Wars. I just don't see how anyone interested in role play and fantasy could have avoided these properties. Granted, the Hobbit movies and the prequels for Star Wars have some non-stellar moments, but on the whole they are right in the gamer's wheelhouse. It should go without saying that reading the LOTR and the Hobbit books should be mandatory for any fantasy geek, but people don't like to read much these days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment