Friday 26 August 2016

The RPG a Day Blog 2016 Day 27

August 27: Describe the most unusual circumstance or location in which you have gamed.

I answered this one in an earlier post. The most unusual circumstance and location I'm playing in is right here and now in the United Arab Emirates. I'm currently having a renaissance at the table top wherein my main group is playing at least once a week and at least from my end--bringing in alternate systems to 5E once in a while. In addition, there are several opportunities for me to join in the mini-cons run by the Gulf Roleplaying Community (GRC). Those meet ups are a great distance from me, but I attend at least once a year. Granted, there are many expatriates in the community, but you'd be surprised--or maybe not surprised--by how diverse our play group is in spite of being in the Middle East...Our group sometimes looks like the Catina scene from Star Wars...speaking of which on to the alternate question.

Identify an under-represented genre in RPGs that you would like to see more of.
 
Up until recently I would have said space opera type sci-fi, but the new Star Wars games are really fun and Starfinder from Paiso sounds good too. I'm going to say that we don't get enough spy games.
Not that I remember too many of them in the first place, but I do remember Top Secret S.I.. It was a TSR game and we only played a few times, but I found it to be really fun. This is again some twenty years back that we played, but I remember that our group looked once again like the United Nations. My operative was from Japan and I made him a former sumo wrestler--long before Deadpool used the joke--only my guy didn't lose any of his weight. So, he was some giant fat dude in a tux trying to do James Bond style stuff. I can't remember the details of what we did twenty years ago, but I do remember him trying to jump between train cars and not making it. It didn't kill him, but he was hurting pretty bad. Just typing that made me remember that none of us made it to the front of that train. One guy had a grappling hook or something and went flying. The bad guy went on to do whatever it was he needed to do. I don't think we ever finished that one, but it was fun. A modern spin on it could be like Mission Impossible, 24, or Homeland. Of course, Bond is still popular too though he tends to work alone.

That's a wrap for 27

 

No comments:

Post a Comment