Monday 8 August 2016

The RPG a Day 2016 Blog Day 9

August 9: What things are a part of your ideal session, other than the actual game?

At a live table the first thing I need since I live out in the remote area of the Liwa desert in Abu Dhabi is a venue that is relatively close. There was a time when I was travelling six hours every weekend just to play. It was still worth it to me but I knew it would be something that couldn't be sustained. Three hours up, a three to four hour session, and three hours back does not make for a happy non-gaming wife. Beyond that the ideal session needs to have pizza and soda. I find that my groups really don't drink alcohol too much during sessions. It's never been banned or anything as a house rule and we will have beer and wine access from time to time, but it doesn't seem to turn up so much. I like having lots of room with little distraction. Although "the game" isn't the only thing we do each week, we are friends and colleagues and we all like to shoot the breeze about real world stuff for a bit, but gaming is the main reason that we are there. We only have around three hours max each week, so we really do push to fill most of that time with gaming. Personally, I prefer sessions that keep the non-player visitors to a minimum. Observing friends are fine if they are tying to learn to play or just getting some entertainment out of our antics, but I'm not as fond of people milling around watching TV or having deep conversations while the game is running.

My online sessions have slightly different requirements. I prefer to play in groups that don't use webcams. I currently play with guys that use text chat only, but I can go with voice only if needed. By choosing this option I can sit and play in my underpants, and no one will be the wiser. It's just like when I type these blogs. I like to get up extra early in the morning while the wife and baby are asleep. Crying baby and nagging wife can ruin a game. I play my favorite 80's and J-pop from the youtubes and I make lots of coffee and eat lots of snacks. If I'm lucky and quiet enough I don't have to share with anybody. My books are all nearby in case I need to rules lawyer and clean up is quick and easy. That'll do for today. 

#RPGaDay

No comments:

Post a Comment