Friday 10 August 2018

RPG a Day 2018: Day 11...Wildest Character Name...

I usually give my characters punny names or else give obscure references that only older people may "get". I'll give you a few of my better efforts with an explanation for the reference if needed.

Coco Lopez: She's a Mexican-American news reporter in my Cyberpunk 2020 game. She's named for a popular coconut flavored drink mixer.

KiraKira: She was my Ryuujin character from the Japanese RPG, Ryuutama. One of her forms was a pixie. If you read one of the earlier entries from this month, you'll know that KiraKira is the Japanese word for glitter. Glitter was the name of a little pixie in the 80's cartoon Kidd Video. There's the connection

Gnissa Fumblebuck: She is a forest gnome, street urchin, rogue for D&D 5E. I gave her a little mouse pet named Baldric. I had never heard of Minsc and Boo, but we were doing much of their shtick. 'Stumbleduck' was a suggested gnickname for gnomes in the PHB, but I think mine goes one better, and the obvious silent 'g' in 'Gnissa' is a longstanding thing for gnome gnames.

Amber "Spade" Spayed: Another race from D&D with nicknames are the Tabaxi. Amber was a rogue with the scout background from unearthed arcana. Spade was a cool nickname for a rogue...and spayed is what you do to control the pet population among cats. She was also billed as being from the Heath Cliffs.

Kendall Ling: Red Dragonborn Monk. kindling is related to making fires and Ling sounds like an Asian name.

Darville Frostbeard: He was a mountain dwarf and a bootlegger of fine ale. Darville is of course the surname of Bo "Bandit" Darville in Smokey and the Bandit.

Syllin Blackleaf: A female wood elf fighter. Blackleaf was the name of a character in Jack Chick's infamous 'Dark Dungeons' gospel tract.

Mabaho Ako: from the anthropomorphic animal game, Iron Claw. I had a female skunk named 'I stink' more or less when translated from Tagalog--my wife's home language from the Philippines.

Caladium Araceae: Yet another female this time a Pixie ranger from D&D 4th. Toward the end of 4th they released Heroes of the Feywild marking one of the few times a Pixie was officially stated as a player character. The pun here is Caladium which is a poisonous plant from South America that means Angel Wings...it also means Elephant Ears, so she had big ears to be teased about.

I'm sure there are others and I haven't even started with NPCs yet, but I think that's enough for today.




No comments:

Post a Comment