Friday 17 August 2018

RPG A Day 2018: Day 18...Art That Inspires Your Game

Since I'm not very good at drawing, I rarely draw my own characters and instead re-purpose artwork and photos as needed. In particular in Roll*20: I search google, find an image that I like, download that, use the Token Tool app, upload to Roll * 20 and there you go for characters. I usually create a cover for the campaign in a similar way. Most of the time I use anime style characters because I'm fine with anime and a lot of the younger players that I end up running for are familiar with the style and usually will pick such for their own avatars. Obviously, choosing art from D&D books and 7th Sea books was appropriate for those campaigns. With the current Cyberpunk 2020 campaign, I've chosen to use real pictures from my end--players can keep drawing style if they like. I use celebrities sometimes, but mostly it's random cosplayers or just normal people I find online. Be careful if you post your pic there as if you look interesting you just might become a game token or background. This prompt lends itself to showing a few pics...so I will:

Ryuutama: 
There's a monster in this game that is a living bamboo statue. I thought this was a fair representation.


7th Sea:



I had need of a haunted light house in game it was named...The Bloody Lighthouse


Cyberpunk 2020:


This is my media NPC, Coco Lopez. Got no idea who she is IRL, but if she's good enough for the Halloween store, she's good enough for my game. I wish more girls took on this hairstyle...it's less than two years until 2020...they should get with it.


I was proud of this when I made it, but I don't know how funny Gallagher references are to a lot of younger people who have no idea how big he was...my whole Prop Comic Wars between him and Carrot Top was probably lost on them.

Loved this screenshot from Bladerunner 2049

Mutant Crawl Classics:

I love the style of Goodman Games books Dungeon Crawl Classics and Mutant Crawl Classics.

Dungeons and Dragons:



I couldn't not put this one up there. You know it and love it.

FYI...I'm not making any money off of this particular blog. If  I were and if I had the time now even for free, I would list the artists/photographer/actor...but this is for personal use only, so it should be okay.



No comments:

Post a Comment