Wednesday 22 August 2018

RPG A Day 2018: Day 23...Which game do you hope to play again?

I like prompts like these that give me the opportunity to talk about games that might not be all that well known. A fun one-shot I ran was for Monkey Fun Studios' Spirit of '77 RPG immediately comes to mind.

"Spirit of 77 is a role-playing roller-coaster about kung-fu tough guys, fast fuel-burning street dragsters, red hot mommas, explosions and fighting The Man. It’s a world where Nixon made a deal with aliens to win the Vietnam War and remains in power behind the scenes for more than a decade. Based on D. Vincent Baker’s “Apocalypse World” framework!"

http://www.monkeyfunstudios.com/products/spiritof77/

The setting is excellent and one of my players wanted to play as Austin Powers who was very easy to create. As Austin he was a bit more memorable than his partner whose character escapes me, but I remember it was a lot of fun. We ran 'The Cruise Ship of the Damned' scenario which is a zombie invasion on a ship. For the setting to work, a passing knowledge of American pop-culture in the 1970's is a plus and the game suggests 70's music for each encounter. 

I'll also mention that the 'Powered by the Apocalypse' is good no matter what setting you choose. I particularly liked 'The Sprawl' which was an Apocalypse powered game in a cyberpunk setting. 




  

No comments:

Post a Comment