Thursday 16 August 2018

RPG a Day 2018: Day 17...Describe the best compliment you’ve had gaming

Finally a short one.

The best compliment received as a player:
To be asked to join, and then be allowed to stay in a table or online group.

The best compliment received as a GM:
To have players show up consistently at my table or online campaign, and have those players ask to bring friends and/or relatives into the group. Most of the time I'm struggling to make sure I've got enough people to play a session. On the rare occasion when I have a "waiting list" it's pretty cool.

Bonus: The Best Compliment I've Ever Received As A Teacher:

Last year, my school had one of our biannual inspections. Aside from one year of substitute/supply teaching and my student teaching/internship, I've never been gainfully employed as a teacher in America. Having been a non-traditional graduate in the first place, and all of America being in that "great recession" ten years ago in the second place, I ended up choosing to go overseas to teach, and that's where I've stayed. After spending one year in Taiwan--a baptism by fire if ever there was one--I went out to the UAE, where I will all to soon be entering my ninth year. So, the only inspections I know about are the ones we have here. I have no disparaging words to say about my employer, but there is a way of doing things here that I have the feeling may be a bit "unique". At any rate, everyone wants to put their best foot forward during the visit by these inspectors. To an extent there's nothing wrong with that, but it never sits right with me. Do you kids know the term "dog and pony show"? I think that's a PC way to say it. Anyhow, while my colleagues are all about doing that, I'm not. At the end of the three day ordeal, one of my students said, "Among our teachers, you're the only one who acts like you always do". I told him on the spot, that's the best compliment anyone has ever given me. I think that he, my other students, my players, and just about everybody else, appreciates dealing with someone who is genuine. I think being real--warts and all, but not terribly hurtful--is the best way to be even when dealing with things that are make believe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment