Thursday 9 August 2018

RPG a Day 2018: Day 9... How has a game surprised you?

This will be a short one...plus a little late for my side of the world. What surprises me the most about playing any RPGs is how fast the time goes by. I've been involved with this hobby in one form or another for at least thirty years. I've been playing on Roll*20 for five years now--just over 1000 hrs of play, my current live table group--with roster changes here and there--has been getting together for four years now, and I've been a member of the Gulf Role Playing Community--an RPG club that has conventions and Facebook discussions where I live in the Middle East--for eight years. Whenever I play a session be it at the live table or on Roll 20 they go for at least three hours and we're usually having weekly meetings and wish we could do even more. All of this for what is essentially a group of people sitting around with books, paper, pencils and random number generators--you might get a mini or map or two thrown in, but for the most part it's just the friends sitting around together. With so many other distractions in the 2000's the fact that people want to get together to do such things is pretty surprising, and it's a nice surprise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment