Friday 18 August 2017

RPG A Day 2017 Blog Day 19

The Best Writing?

I will give you three books that I enjoy:

Spirit of 77 by David Kizza and Bob Richardson:

The writers at Monkeyfun Studios are quickly becoming my favorites. They have a great sense of humor and fun, but also explain the gameplay mechanics in a way that is easy to understand. The setting is in a wild version of the 1970s, and the game is powered by Apacolypse. I have only run one session but everyone was into it, and I could see myself running a few one-shots or a short campaign with what is provided.

7th Sea 2nd edition by John Wick and various:

The 2nd edition series has so much good stuff in it that it becomes overwhelming. The core book has everything that you will need to play and run campaigns. I would like to credit the other writers, but my books are not with me, and Wick is captain of the ship anyway. I really enjoy reading the various books that have been released, but in this case there may be a bit too much of a good thing.

Ryuutama by Okada*Sanchez*Kitkowski

My favorite *newish* RPG to read. The layout is nice and fun to read, the rules are explained in a way that is easy to understand, and the flavor that is there will open your mind up to many ideas that you may overlook in the traditional American RPG. The book has been translated from Japanese, but is more a Japanese take on Western fantasy than Asian mythology, but if you do decide to read the book you will see immediately that there is something different--I say special--about it.

That is it for today. I know I am preaching to the choir--a small choir when it comes to my blog entries--but, I know I am not the only one who reads these rulebooks for pleasure. Sometimes I read books and I know right away that I will never be able to find players, but I keep reading them anyway....that is how good some of these writers are.

#RPGaDay2017




No comments:

Post a Comment