Sunday 20 August 2017

RPG A Day 2017 Blog: Day 7 (catch up)

What has been my most impactful RPG session?

What started my interest in the hobby was the Choose Your Own Adventure books, specifically the Time Machine sub-series book about dinosaurs. From there I began to read books from the main series as well as other series in the same style such as Wizards, Warriors and You and of course the Fighting Fantasy series of books. Around age 13 or so my interest in D&D was beginning to take hold. I had always liked the cartoon and wanted the toys, although they were too expensive/hard to find in my area when I was a kid. I must also point out that He-Man and the Masters of the Universe added to my interest in fantasy. 13ish year old me did pick up a D&D book of some kind, but I do not remember what it was, in any case I could not figure it out. One of my friends and I tried to play an original set owned by his father, but we just could not get it, and this leads me to the answer for todays question...

I was 14 or15 when my dad let my brother and I go to Dragon*Con in Atlanta GA. It has since become so bloated and over produced that it rivals San Diego Comic-Con, but at the time it was still up and coming. Anyhow, my brother and I were not savvy enough to follow any of the tracks or even go into the all day Anime and rare movie rooms. We more or less paid to go into the vast dealers room. It probably did not cost as much as it does today, I surely hope that my dad did not pay full admission price just for us to wander in the hotel for a couple of hours. Anyhow, I went to the TSR table and the rep there sold me on the Marvel Super Heroes game. I think they call it FASERIP today. I explained that I could not figure out D&D when we tried it, but that I was still interested and really loved superheroes. He ran me through a very short session playing as the Thing. No more than about ten minutes and it hooked me. I ran for my brother and his friend for years before finally moving on to Paladium Books--their superhero and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles--and finally hooking up with a semi-regular D&D (and various other systems) group from around age 18 on.

So this one guy and his mini-session is more or less is to blame for my RPG addiction.

#RPGaDay2017

No comments:

Post a Comment