Friday 25 August 2017

RPG a Day 2017 Blog: Days 14-15 (final catch up)

Which RPG do you prefer for open-ended play?

I like to keep all of my RPGs open-ended, if the campaign manages to come to a satisfying ending, then the surviving characters can retire or otherwise give up adventuring...but if the players want to come back...a sequel or even a prequel/alternate timeline could bring back the old character if they wanted.

 When  players left my Roll*20 7th Sea campaign I did not retcon what they did. New players who joined the surviving core group had to deal with fallout for things they were not at fault for, and had to catch-up as best they could when old NPCs showed up to continue plot threads that were many sessions in the past. For my part I did give mid-week recaps and tried to prime the players on what was going on. This is where 7th Sea gets a little rough. I own the books and have read quite a bit of the lore--but not all--I shared resources, but I dont imagine my players having a ton of time--and maybe not even the desire--to read them. So, how much information should the characters know about their world? Do the characters actually have more knowledge about their home than the players or even the GM? We just missed ending the campaign as I had planned to, and we did have a great battle in what ended up being the finale, but as is too often the case there were still too many loose ends with no resoulution. We had a lot of fun with it though and the players told me how much they enjoyed it, in spite of having to close up shop early.

The next campaign I play will still be open-ended, but I want to give definitive jumping on/jumping off points if I can. Characters stuck in limbo happens way too often, but then again its the fun we have during the sessions that counts.

Which RPGs do I enjoy adapting the most?

That last answer ran longer than I expected, but this one will be a lot shorter. This is the sister question to the one I started with this year, and my answer is very similar. It sounds like a cop-out, but I enjoy adapting everything. D&D 5th just begs to be adapted by bringing in different monster abilities from previous editions and using the old maps. I enjoy the advantage/disadvantage mechanic from 5th and I use that in other games that I play. I liked the mass combat system from the first edtion of 7th Sea, so I brought it back to my 2nd edition game. I love the escalation die mechanic from 13th Age and use it anywhere that makes sense. I havent used the Jinga mechanic from Dread for any game yet, as I havent been able to play Dread at this point, but the mechanic sure looks interesting. In other words, anything I see be it from a different system or from my own mind is fair game for any game that I run...just so long as the players can mostly understand what they need to do.

#RPGaDay2017


No comments:

Post a Comment