Thursday 18 August 2022

RPG A Day 2022--Day 19--Why Has Your Favorite Game Stayed with You?

I'll tweak this one again and answer why has the hobby of playing TTRPGs stayed with me. You can look at some of my rants from RPG A Day 2021 if you want to read my feelings on the "culture war" that we find ourselves in these days. You may agree with me and you may not. Almost every one of my hobbies: TTRPGs, movies, cartoons, comic books, toys, video games--and even professional wrestling have gone soft...WOKE if you will. The owners of these IPs toss out the built in audience that has supported them over the decades in order to pander to those who for the most part don't actually buy the product, but I digress..we're staying positive. What makes TTRPGs different is that the table controls the narrative. Although I don't agree with the parent companies putting their message in the books, said message never has to make it to my table. When Star Trek goes WOKE and I don't like it...for the most part all I can do is choose not to interact with the product at all or else watch oldies. When my favorite TTRPG goes WOKE with the narrative, I don't have to follow it. My game can be just as 'offensive', 'problematic' and 'dangerous' as it has always been...and not a safety tool in sight. 




No comments:

Post a Comment