Tuesday 2 August 2022

RPG A Day 2022--Day 3--When Were You First Introduced to RPGs?

 It would have been the 1980's. I can tie my initial interest to the 1983 cartoon which I saw in first run. I would have only been nine years old at the time. In an earlier blog on here somewhere I probably mentioned having a try at playing back then, but not really knowing what to do. I tend to remember having a thieves kit, but when I look up the kit I remember it was far later--damn, Mandela Effect. I am also old enough to have played 'Cowboys and Indians' with my little brother and later having bought into LazerTag all of which can be considered LARPing and some of which may get a person cancelled or possibly shot by accident today. I wouldn't do my duty if I didn't mention the 'Choose Your Own Adventure' style books that were like gateways to TTRPGs and much more manageable for the pre-teen me. My brother and I would later make a simple game using the old M.U.S.C.L.E. toys along with dice to hold many a match and tournament. There was also an official G.I. Joe board game that used the actual toys on bases and worked like a war game for total beginners, but of import to us it introduced a story where the dice decided what happened. Then, there's HeroQuest, but everyone already knows how awesome it is. So many things conspired to make me the TTRPG hobbyist I am today, but to recap the answer is somewhere in the 80's.




No comments:

Post a Comment