Monday 8 August 2022

RPG A Day 2022--Day 9--What is the Second RPG You Bought?

 It'll be a short one today, but if you consider the Marvel Superheroes Advanced Set to be the first RPG I ever bought--having previously purchased a D&D character kit some years before which didn't give me enough material to play or run a game--then, the second RPG I bought would have either been 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Other Strangeness' or 'Heroes Unlimited'. As you can guess, I was really into comic books at the time. At some point I also would get the old D.C.Heroes RPG with the wheel--if you know, you know. There is a possibility that some of the Palladium Books are still floating around my home base in Georgia in the States, but I'm not too sure. I had one of those purges just before I got married  nearly two decades ago now wherein I got rid of a a lot of my stuff. I really wished I had kept it all, but to what end? I have an entire treasure chest of material in the Philippines, a book-shelf and closet of various materials that survived the culling still sitting in the States, and my current books that made the trip with me to China, and none of them--not even the ones that are here with me--really get the use that they deserve. That said, I'll never have another culling. I always regret them and I guess when I die, my daughter can donate the things to Goodwill if she doesn't want them or if I'm not survived by any of my IRL gaming friends. 

 A few words about TMNTaOS and HU then...both were by Palladium Books and more or less used the same mechanics as I recall. Again, that memory is really getting to me...not sure. I remember both were very crunchy to play but a lot of fun. Of note, I  recall one of my original heroes being a homeless man with speed powers like the Flash, flaming like the human torch, and a sonic scream like Banshee. I didn't want him to be overpowered, but rather just a dude screaming while he was running at high-speeds while on fire. Unfortunately, giving him even the lowest powered versions of these abilities were still far too powerful and complex a build. He had a partner which my friend made and whom I may have mentioned in an earlier RPGADay entry. This fellow was a pimp who ran so many ladies that he had two bandoliers, a belt, and several different holsters field with electronic pagers--it was the early 90's after all--and on one unfortunate night all his girls called in at the same time...twice?...three times?...Who knows? Eventually, the batteries did run out, and when the man that had once been, finally crawled out of the wreckage, he would from then on be known as the Vibrating Pimp. This pair defended the streets of Atlanta for many a year--actually we only played one session. I love superheroes, but a sustained hero campaign has always been pretty tough. I remember TMNTaOS also being fun--especially the 'After the Bomb' follow-up--but I don't have any stories or characters that I remember. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment