Monday 1 August 2022

RPG A Day 2022: Day 2--What is a Great Introductory RPG?

 Short answer--Pathfinder Beginners Box (1st edition). I haven't played the second edition box at this point--living in China I find that I cannot trust the things that I order to get to me, and thanks to the Wuhan Flu I haven't been able to travel home in four full years, so I haven't had a chance. That said, the first edition box has everything one needs to start playing right away. The rules have less crunch than the full edition. I only wish Paizo had supported this easier system a bit more. It comes with a couple of "bells and whistles" apart from the standard dice set and pre-get characters including a selection of  PF cardboard minis and a double-sided map. Oldskool players don't necessarily need the fluff, but for beginners it provides a "pop" to help them learn to play. It's been a while but I remember the pre-made adventure was pretty decent and at least one of the players at my table complemented it as such back when I ran it. I'm not sure if it's cheaper or more expensive nowadays what with the 2nd edition available, but I still think it's worth a spot on your shelf.  




No comments:

Post a Comment