Saturday 21 August 2021

RPGaDAY 2021: Day 21--Motive

 #RPGaDAY2021 Day 21 and I'm running a little late out in my neck of the woods. I rolled the D4 and got a '4' again. That means I need to use daggers more when playing on Roll 20, but more importantly it means my topic is 'Motive'.

I think about motive IRL and when I'm playing the TTRPGs. 'What's the end game?' 'Why are you doing the things that you do?' 'What will you get out of what you're doing?' and a bit of a problem in my mind 'What motivates a non-human character...especially a powerful one?'
In fiction stories there are always villains who want to "rule the world". I guess I'm not motivated by power because that would seem like a lot of work for me. If you were a god what would motivate you to do anything? You don't have to eat, you're not going to die. I suppose you might want more power, followers, or a better place to reign. Maybe if you saw some cute gnome girl running around you might come around to see her Zeus style, but even then when you're that powerful does it make sense that you would even care.
IRL I'm a Christian and I believe that God is motivated by love, but I can't come up with a reason why He wants to have anything to do with a bunch of wicked minded gnats like us. However, I'm very grateful that He does.



No comments:

Post a Comment