Thursday 19 August 2021

RPGaDAY2021:Day 20--Ally

 #RPGaDAY2021 Rolled a '4' and got Ally for today.

That's definitely a buzzword that I could rant about, but I have vowed to be positive until the end of the month, so I'll let it go.
When I think about allies within the game I'm usually thinking of permanent NPC's that help the players out. It happened that I just talked about Ryuutama yesterday, but I'll mention it again as it is one of the few TTRPGs that I'm aware of wherein the DM/GM has his own character which is a dragon called a Ryujin they level up and everything right alongside the players. The color of this Ryujin also gives the players a hint about what kind of themes should be present in that particular campaign. It is an ally to the PCs with it's own special moves and goals. With any luck this character doesn't overshadow the PCs as one of it's goals is to record a good story about heroes.
After having a good time playing this character, I tried to create similar when using different systems. I had a media character I played in a Cyberpunk 2020 campaign named CoCo Lopez--as I represented her by some unkonwn cosplayer. She ended up being one of my favorite characters to play even though she was what some people call a DMPC. She really changed my mind about having a DMPC. If you keep them from turning into "Mary/Gary Sues" and let the PCs remain the focus, they can really be an additional voice and ally to the player without having to hit the them over the head over and over again with clues and whatnot using your DM authority.



No comments:

Post a Comment