Friday 13 August 2021

RPGaDAY: Day 14--Momentum

 #RPGaDAY2021 and for day 14 I rolled a '4' for the 'momentum' prompt.

You know what's losing momentum? My summer vacation. I'm down to the last week off--with 7 week days additional planning time without students which counts as continued vacation for me. Nevertheless, when RPGaDay is over, so is my time away from the kids.
You know what's gaining momentum? The backlash to the WOKE. So many normal people are starting to realize that the companies that own the IPs that they used to love have no love for them, and that one doesn't have to support an inferior TV show, movie or dare I say TTRPG manufacturer just because they slap the name of a beloved franchise on it. I like that in short order we more or less said 'No!' to Masters of the Universe. I'm pleased that Mr. Potato Head gets to stay a Mister. I'm filled with joy that the ratings for all major awards shows and sporting events are in the toilet. I'm actually a little disappointed that 'The Suicide Squad' got caught in the backlash--it's a good movie, check it out! But momentum is clearly on the side of normal people.

Overall, apart from said collateral damage, I'm feeling better about the pop-culture community at large these past few months than I have in years. I think we--who support tradition--are voting with our wallets. Which for all their pandering and virtue signalling is all that really matters to these huge companies. The momentum is with us. If we want to be culture warriors and steer away from the SJW madness, then we should only spend money on products that speak to us and let the market decide. Wonderfilled (formerly part of TSR 3.0), for a recent example, has refused to take the knee in spite of the pressure, so we should support them--I'm afraid to because they haven't delivered their products yet, but still. Solarian Games (formerly TSR 2.0) is another company that wanted no part of controversy, but just produces small indy games wherein gaming is the focus, not politics. At the same time, don't support the stuff that you don't believe in. Just because a company's logo is slapped on it and you want to be a completionist, it doesn't mean you should buy-in--it sends the message to companies to make more of the same, and that's what you'll get.








No comments:

Post a Comment