Sunday 13 August 2023

RPG a Day 2023: The 10th Anniversary Edition--Day 14 Favorite Convention Purchase

 Last week of vacation. I knew filling out these things would make time go by too fast >:(

I've already mentioned my favorite convention purchase. It's the Marvel Super Heroes Role Playing game by TSR. Not only was it the first TTRPG I really played, but as a huge comic book fan back then, it was right up my alley. I would love to get at least physical copies of the advanced sets, but until that time I count on https://classicmarvelforever.com/cms/ They have almost everything. These books are out of print and in the public domain now, so if you usually have reservations about sailing the seven seas, you shouldn't let it hold you back in this case. For my money this system is among the best for the superhero genre and the modules came out at a time before most American comics took several missteps and forgot what their role in society--if any--should be. I argue the sales prove that. Anyhow, we won't talk about that anymore in order to stay positive, but IYKYK. In other words, the characters may be a bit outdated but it's a feature and not a flaw. 

I really miss conventions. I have fond memories of going to Dragon*Con in Atlanta, GA primarily. I also managed to attend a couple of anime conventions in GA as well. Every year when it came to town you  could almost count on it like clockwork that I would be broke. I never spent the night in an actual room there, but instead hung out in the 24hr anime room. Sometimes the rest of the bums and myself would fall asleep watching the anime until someone would have to wake us up...then we would pretend to be awake and then fall asleep again until they had to come back around. I probably mentioned it before, but it was about the smelliest place you'd ever want to encounter in a civilized world. If you sat in there for a long time you'd become acclimated to the funk, but upon first opening the door you would be hit with a wave of odor that would knock out a buzzard. I remember that there used to be a lot more gaming going on out there in the earlier years. I suppose I was too young to get involved with it, but for a time it was Dragon*Con and Atlanta Comics Expo. The Dragon referred to D&D. They also had a smoking con-suite and a non-smoking one. Supposedly, you would get snacks and the like with your convention badge, but I remember always having to buy my own food. I think I had a free donut and a coke or two on one of the long stays. I really can't remember how many of those cons I attended but I miss them. 

Living overseas I have more money, but less cons come around. In my UAE days I attended the Middle East Comicon a couple of times, and one year they had their own anime con, but it's never been the same. So far in China--especially in the Wuhan Flu Era--there haven't been any cons that I'm aware of. My school year runs in such a way that I'm never home for conventions, renaissance festivals, or NFL seasons. Sometimes I wonder what good this money is doing me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment