Thursday 17 August 2023

RPG a Day 2023: The 10th Anniversary Edition--Day 18 Favorite Game System

 I'm afraid overall I have to go with Dungeons and Dragons 5E. The controversies with WotC are well documented. I don't like the company. I don't like the way they address their legacy products. I don't like the tone or "feel" of the 5E product. I don't like the direction that they are headed in terms of digital/monetization of the game nor their real-life politics. The charities they support IRL alone have turned me off to ever giving them a dime's worth of further support. All that said, it's an easy game to get into and to learn. It's easy to find players. It's not too difficult and yet not too easy. The truth is that I choose to play variants that use 5E as the engine more so than playing 5E RAW. Currently, I'm loving Shadowdark as the new sweetheart game, but prior to this I was using Hardcore mode from Runehammer. I also run oldskool TSR modules using 5E conversion to keep the tone at least a little less lighthearted and traditional. True enough the games I'm currently playing in and running have become gonzo as all get out, but when I have my druthers I'd choose to go a bit more classic feel, but it's completely possible--and even preferable to me--to use 5E or one of its derivatives to do it. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment