Wednesday 23 August 2023

RPG a Day 2023: The 10th Anniversary Edition--Day 24 Complex/Simple RPG that you play

The most complex game that I play has to be Cyberpunk:2020. I can't see myself taking on any more complex games than this. Playing the role of a Netrunner and running games based on the net is far more complex than it ever needs to be. I ran a network takedown RAW successfully one time. The Runner and I enjoyed it but the rest had to be bored out of their wits. I'd cut back to them once in a while, but the main game was just myself and either one or two other players--can't remember how many runners were in that group. After that, I made a rule that Netrunners would be NPC only unless a player wanted a one on one session. 

I call the new Shadowdark game the best simple game I've played. I realize it's the newest internet darling, but I'm really digging it. I've also played/run these rules light games: Index Card RPG, Ryuutama, and EZ D6. I've liked them all at various points, but the magic system, magic user class or Cleric/Priest class always tends to go against the simplicity inherent in the rest of the system. With Shadowdark--at least so far--the magic system is easy and yet the game feels at least as robust as 5E. Simply classifying the spells at various tiers rather than levels does wonders to help new players that always wonder why a level 4 character doesn't cast level 4 spells. The rest of the system is quite streamlined too. Rolling to cast makes sense, but in other systems that use the same mechanic the misses seem to pile up--I know other classes miss their attack also, but when a spell fizzles it just seems like a true wasted turn. Shadowdark has the feature of base difficulty 10 plus the spell's tier.  A tier one spell then is a DC 11 for the magic user. They can cast again and again on their turn until they miss that DC. No slots, no shifting things around. If they do miss, then they forget the spell until there is a rest. If they fumble it--it's off to the mishap table. Very simple fun and effective. 

I used to like playing complex games, but as I've gotten older rules light is the only way to go for me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment