Thursday 3 August 2023

RPG a Day 2023: The 10th Anniversary Edition--Day 4 Most Recent Game Bought

I legitimately backed Shadowdark on Kickstarter. I know it's the new hotness as the kids used to say, but it is legitimately good. The KS campaign itself hit all the right notes what with the free quickstart rules and reasonable buy-in, and I know I'm preaching to the choir, but Kelsey Dionne is about the most charismatic and personable creator one could ask for. 

The product PDF has long since been delivered and I've managed to run a few sessions. The print copy promises to come out with a quick turnaround as well. This will be the game I run going forward. I would say search YouTube if you've been living under a rock and want a deep dive on the system. A quick summary from me would be that it takes the best mechanics from D&D 5E and the independents/OSR and mixes them together in  a near perfect blend using a rules light approach. As soon as my modified 5E campaign wraps up, I'm going Shadowdark full steam ahead. I have to mention https://shadowdarklings.net/ for character creation needs online...check it out. 

Sidenote--obviously, some other creator can come around at some point to woo me in the future, but I think this is it for me as far as system backing goes. Sure there will be FOMO and I like supporting companies I believe in, but how many games can you play...or not play? If nothing else, I'm definitely going to slow it down...slow it waaaaaay down. 











No comments:

Post a Comment