Friday 25 August 2023

RPG a Day 2023: The 10th Anniversary Edition--Day 26 Favorite Character Sheet

This year I think Shadowdark has won me over as far as my responses go. It may be flavor of the month ultimately if some new, new hotness--as the kids say--comes along. Today, it is the most refined and streamlined version of D&D 5E that you can get. It's simple and effective. It also allows me to paraphrase the old English teacher's joke about essays--

How long should a "character sheet" be? 

It should be like a lady's skirt, long enough to cover everything, but short enough to keep things interesting. 


For a level 1 character, this is it. Maybe the talents/spells might expand by level 10--I would probably use cards of some kind for spells--but one sheet with everything in front of you is all that is needed. The gear is always going to be limited and there really isn't a 'bag of holding' type thing using Shadowdark RAW. I've really gone into K.I.S.S. mode for now, if a character sheet can be short and sweet like this  one, it should speed up the process of players--and GMs for that matter, when they decide what to do. 

This picture is based on the original Shadowdark character sheet and was generated at

 https://shadowdarklings.net/

At the time of this entry, the only drawback I have is that nobody has put one on Roll*20 yet.  



No comments:

Post a Comment