Sunday 6 August 2023

RPG a Day 2023: The 10th Anniversary Edition--Day 7 Smartest RPG You've Played

 I was scratching my head on this one. Rather than skipping the day,  I'll just talk about a game that only smart people should approach. Believe it or not the original WWF roleplaying game is just about the most detailed game I've ever read through. I created a couple  of  wrestlers,  but I've never been able to play the thing. It was just too detailed for me to wrap my head around it.   

I don't have the book with me ATM and I'm not sure if a PDF is available online, but from what I remember the game was developed independently by a single military guy during his time in the original Gulf War way back when. This was at a time when the WWF--now WWE--was really struggling, so apparently getting a license to use the IP wasn't all that difficult. I don't remember the roster of wrestlers included but for sure Yokozuna, Doink the Clown, and Johnny Polo (Raven) were there to give you a bit of  the time frame. I remember reading in the intro that the guys played it like crazy during the war and the author claimed that it was probably the most play tested game ever created up until that time. I also remember him putting down "poorly written" fantasy games (D&D) and making allusions to the Satanic Panic.  He assured parents that nothing like that would be found in this game. I can't remember if the Undertaker was in it or not, but if he was, then I'm not sure what the parents would have thought about it. 

If you thought grappling rules were too easy in D&D and if you can find it, maybe you can give it shot.

  


No comments:

Post a Comment