Saturday 12 August 2023

RPG a Day 2023: The 10th Anniversary Edition--Day 13 Most Memorable Character Demise

Some players are more attached to their characters than others, but I play with sort of a troupe of them. I've played so many versions of Gnissa Fumblebuck that I could have an 'Into the Gnisssaverse' movie. The downside of this style is that she's met many different fates over the years and on occasion has died. None of those deaths hold much meaning because I'll be playing her again somewhere down the line. 

On the broader subject of character death it seems like we had more time back in the old days and characters dying wasn't a big deal. It reminded me of the old video game, Gauntlet. You went as far  into  a dungeon as you could until the character died. Certainly, memorable characters came out of that time frame but only the best of the best lived for very long. If a character died, you just made up another one. Obviously, games like Shadowdark and DCC are trying to bring that style back. The characters are easy to build, so making a replacement isn't too taxing on the time. I can fully understand a player who builds a character for hours only to have him die and then return as son of 'X' because they're already playing the character they want, could be a pain. At the end of the day, I'm still more of a fan of letting characters live and die through a campaign as it happens. Making new characters has always been fun for me anyway. 








No comments:

Post a Comment