Friday 4 August 2023

RPG a Day 2023: The 10th Anniversary Edition--Day 5 Oldest Game You've Played

 I like physical copies of my books rather than PDF. I think this will always be the case. That said, with PDFs all over the place online there is a far better chance of playing older games. The oldest game I've played so far--considering running the game as playing it--is DragonQuest. I don't intend to go into the details of the game beyond a quick Google that tells me the first edition was from back in 1980. It was apparently created by Simulations Publications Incorporated before being picked up by TSR. 

The only reason this RPG came up on my radar was from playing the board game of the same name. The board game by TSR was more of an intro to the current edition of  D&D at that time. Apparently, since they had the  DragonQuest name, the figured to make some use of it. DragonQuest the TTRPG is super complex and full of crunch. Personally, I can only follow it so far without the minutia getting the better of me. I don't understand how we had so much time to get into these things as young kids/teens. Maybe it's like learning a foreign language or playing an instrument and it just comes easier when you are young. 

Anyways, the introductory desert based adventure, 'The Camp of Alla-Akabar'is totally "PROBLEMATIC" by today's standards complete with a kidnapped and very helpless damsel in distress, a dashing ladies man of an antagonist, slavery, and many middle eastern stereotypes--also, the heroes are straight up hired as assassins, so there's that. Naturally, I was immediately drawn to it and put it on my short list of modules to run. I've run it a couple of times now and it's legitimately good. I could definitely see myself running it again using Shadowdark rules system. 




No comments:

Post a Comment