Saturday 5 August 2023

RPG a Day 2023: The 10th Anniversary Edition--Day 6 Favorite Game You Never Get to Play

 I'll alter this just a little and say favorite genre I never get to  play and the answer is Cyberpunk. I would rather play Cyberpunk 2020 or its current Cyberpunk:Red iterations, but I'd take anything on the radar--Shadowrun, GURPS, Carbon 2185, Altered State, or the new Bladerunner to name a few. 

I thought with the release of CP:2077 video game that there would be more interest in the TTRPG, but it hasn't been my experience. Most people just want to play D&D 5E and in a fantasy setting. Altered State and to a much greater extent Carbon 2185 could get more traction due to the former being similar to 5E and the latter running on the 5E engine, but most of these games are completely set apart from 'The World's Most Popular Roleplaying Game' and most players I come across don't have the time nor the desire to learn or play anything else. I get that. It amazes me how much time we put in to learning the various different systems when we were younger. 

Another big challenge in running any of these games online is that even when people are willing to try, most of these systems are pretty crunchy. People without books shouldn't even apply. 




No comments:

Post a Comment