Friday 25 August 2023

RPG a Day 2023: The 10th Anniversary Edition--Day 25 Unplayed RPG that you Own

Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. 

James:414

I wasn't planning on putting that quote here. I had just copied and pasted it for an FB comment about Windham Rotunda A.K.A. Bray Wyatt...A.K.A. The Fiend. He was an established wrestler for WWE. He'd been around a little while, but unlike in "legitimate" sports--so called--in the world of pro wrestling, age 36 can be considered on the youngish side. In life it certainly is. His dad is Mike Rotunda--A.K.A. Irwin R. Shyster (I.R.S.) and his Uncle is Barry Windham both were big in WWE and NWA for those who may have fallen away from fandom. This tragedy also happened one day from the loss of wrestling legend Terry Funk. Funk at least made it to his 70's. For the curios, at this early stage it seems that Wyatt passed of a heart attack brought on by an earlier bout of COVID--not going to speculate if it was the virus or the cure, but there you go. All this said, we like to have a lot of fun playing our TTRPGs and hanging out with our friends and family to do so...but, think about where you are in life. The young and the old can go at anytime since on this Earth anyway, we are mortal. I'm a Christian. I believe Jesus when He says that He is the only way to Heaven. I hope each and every one of you who happen to come across this blog can come to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ and what He did for you and me. If you're not Christian, I can still be your friend. I'll still pray for you. I might not be able to condone your lifestyle or acknowledge any delusions you may have, but the position is love not hate. Even if you're not a Christian, I pray for you--or wish for you if it makes you feel better--to tell someone you love what they mean to you because today might be the last day...

Life is for the living. Life does go on and so does RPGaDay 2023. One of the things I've resolved to do since the beginning of 2023 is to stop being a hoarder. There are only so many games that one can read, learn, play and run at a given time. ATM there are many in my collection that I don't actively play and a few I've never played even once. Moving forward I have resolved only to buy games I intend to play. Unless it's a very rare gem and the siren's song pulls me in, I don't intend to back unproduced games on Kickstarter or any other crowd funding site until after the product has been successfully brought to market and ready to buy. Fortunately, I've never backed a product that failed to deliver...yet. There are a few still in the wind though that have taken so long that I've lost interest in playing even if they ever do appear--Heckna! and 7th Sea:Khiati (?) I'm looking at you. I also think PDFs take away from game play even if something looks good the PDF is bound to get lost in the shuffle. 

Ankur created by Chris Miller is a sci-fi/fantasy/alternate history (maybe?) TRPG I backed on KS. I won't say too much about it good or bad because I never played or attempted a run, but the art looks nice and the concept seems like it could be fun. The PDFs came out almost immediately and I appreciate that. Unfortunately, it's entirely too long for me to read. 

Even before COVID and the related "died suddenly" became the trend, I've been thinking about how to be a good steward with my time. Don't get me wrong, I love to read and reading TTRPG books is like eating candy most of the time, so I may give this one another shot one of these days. That said, I have had the epiphany that it's the playing of the games with your friends that makes the hobby. Reading a system that you inherently know that virtually nobody will take the time to read, learn or play becomes a waste, and even if it ends up being the greatest system and setting I've ever read, I don't think I can summarize 300+ pages succinctly, and I know I can't get the average Joe to read something like that for an unknown system...and that's too bad. 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment