Monday 28 August 2023

RPG a Day 2023: The 10th Anniversary Edition--Day 27 & 28 New Edition Wishes and The Scariest Game

08/27 I skipped yesterday because I have nothing to say on the matter except there are too many games and too many editions of existing games already. I think even WOTC is realizing this and apparently is only revising 5E from now on rather than going full 6E. If a new edition of a game was truly innovative or if the previous edition of a game was truly broken, then maybe a new edition would feel warranted,  but most of the time edition updates feel like money grabs.  Supporting games with supplemental materials or updating an out of print game would be worth while. 

08/28 I've never played a TTRPG that truly had me scared. I enjoy Ravenloft setting and other horror scenarios, but nothing has left me feeling fear. The closest thing to it was years ago when the first Resident Evil came out and the dogs break through the window. Back then it really sucked me in. Today it just sucks. It's clunky, moves slow and  looks like crap. It was a different time. I recently backed a fun game supplement called 'Grizelda's Cursed Curiosities' by Scoundrel Game Labs. It's for 5E but for my purposes I run it using Shadowdark rules instead. It reminds me of the old  Friday the 13th TV show. This system features a special gimmick called a haunt. I'll copy and paste an excerpt from the free pdf below.  The KS is over, but you can still preorder the supplement or it's prequel. It still didn't scare me but it's creepy and fun.

APPENDIX A: HAUNT RULES

Haunts are visceral scenarios where adventurers are trapped in a dangerous location plagued by supernatural phenomena. To escape the haunt,

adventurers must neutralize the dark energy or exorcise whatever curse, spirit, or phenomenon they are actively fighting against. This is done by making use of diverse skills and abilities, giving each adventurer a potential path to victory. Since haunts make use of the initiative system, they

serve not only as potential encounters but also as exciting arenas for other combat. Combining haunts with various monsters or even other haunts can create an exciting, thematic, and fresh experience for any table.







No comments:

Post a Comment