Monday 21 August 2023

RPG a Day 2023: The 10th Anniversary Edition--Day 22 Best Second Hand RPG Purchase


This one is scraping the bottom of the barrel for me because I don't normally find any second hand books overseas.  What really grinds my gears is in the States--on the rare occasion that I'm there--the only used bookseller in my town is in the know. It can't be doing much for his sales, but you won't go in there and find anything RPG related that isn't priced with the collector in mind. Somebody needs to inform folks with an eye on earning that if you sell an old hardcover for $10 you have $10...if you price it at $25 and it sits there at $25, then all you have is something collecting dust on your shelf. Too many people know there's an alleged market for these things, but not everything old is really worth what you think...a thing is only worth what you can get someone to spend on it. I will also shout out to R Talsorian Games who recently told all the fans not to get the gouged price on their older stuff as they would do more print runs on the more popular items--and the less popular ones probably still had originals in stock. 

All that said, one of the best games I bought online second hand was Dragon Quest board game by TSR. The game teaches you how to play a simplified version of advanced D&D--I think so because THAC0 is in it. The system itself really doesn't matter as much as the sturdy board inside. You could use it to generate random dungeons all day using whatever you want. I'm going to run it with the  Shadowdark rules. There are also lots of cardboard standees included, but those didn't hold up so much  over the years. 


   

No comments:

Post a Comment